Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Response to 'My Papa's Waltz'

My Papa's Waltz

The whiskey on your breath
Could make a small boy dizzy;
But I hung on like death:
Such waltzing was not easy.

We romped until the pans
Slid from the kitchen shelf;
My mother's countenance
Could not unfrown itself.

The hand that held my wrist
Was battered on one knuckle;
At every step you missed
My right ear scraped a buckle.

You beat time on my head
With a palm caked hard by dirt,
Then waltzed me off to bed
Still clinging to your shirt.

Response to the poem 'My Papa's Waltz':

     This poem shows alot about how something so easy, but fan and dangerous at the same time. It shows that you can have fun doing anything, but that it can also be dangerous. He shows that it can be dangerous when he wrote, about how when his father was waltzing, he hung on tight, and about how at every step the father missed, his ear hit his father's belt buckle. This shows that his father's waltzing can be dangerous because, the small boy can smell the whiskey in his father's breath, and even though his father may not be drunk, he father might be a little dizzy, or even a little clumbsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment